Saturday, May 8, 2010

Vanity (and sanity) blown away...quite literally.


I'm no fashionista.

It's no secret that I will never be a J. Crew model.

I'm fine with that.

I do, however, sometimes like to pretend that my clothes match. Sometimes. (And no, for you friends who see me at the gum, I never match my workout attire either...)

I've even been known to be embarrassed once or twice by my kids outfits (that was about 3 kids ago.) On occasion, I even insist on color or pattern coordination with their attire.

Today, however, all hopes of matching...matching of any kind mind you....blew out the window.

(Well, at least that is what would have happened if the windows had been open.)

I would have had one of the kids take a picture of my lovely looking outfit if my camera was in town -- but it is in Chicago with Greg.

So -- you'll just have to use your imagination as I describe the lovely get-up I wore while parading back and forth at the soccer fields in rain and 50 degrees. Oh...and did I mention we are under a severe wind advisory? Something to do with the 50-60 mile per hour gales we've got going on outside.

While two of my children played their games in shorts, I sat on the sidelines in navy sweats, brown knee-high snow boots, red winter coat, brown and white gloves, black hoodie -- pulled over my head -- and black sunglasses.

Yes, it was raining in spurts. And dark. And gray. But the sunglasses kept the wind from making my eyes water.

I had enough of that from my nasal passages.

The only thing better was Cambrie -- in her winter coat and hat, wrapped in a blanket, strapped in her stroller with the wind guard on top...She had an additional blanket over the top of the stroller -- and a lawn chair on top of that.

Hey -- I had to do something to keep the blanket from blowing off.

I just dare one of my kids to call me unsupportive.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
As a sidenote:
Someone asked why I only blog about the weather at my kids sporting events - -and not the actual sporting events. Let me just say that I experience the weather a lot more than the actual games. Rarely, do circumstances permit me to simply watch the game.

Today, for example, Addysen and Cannon played on opposite fields at the same time....8:15. So, I parked our 'outfit' in the middle of both fields and alternately watched both games. (Unfortunately, the were both in at the same times -- I should have asked their coaches beforehand if they could coordinate playing times so that I could watch both kids at my leisure.)

Keep in mind that while Addysen was scoring (5 goals today) and Cannon was defending (he's getting to be a pretty good goalie), I was also rocking Cambrie in her stroller and continually securing the blanket and lawn chair back on top. Additionally, my head repetitively swiveled to the right as I made sure that Kenzie and Brynnley were still on "THE HILL," or at the concession stand buying hot chocolate, or on their way back from the car after running for the umbrellas.

Is it any wonder we forgot to turn in our money from the candy fundraiser? Despite the fact that I had it in the back of the stroller.

And people wonder why I don't bother to bring the camera to the games.

4 comments:

kerrbc said...

How did I rate my picture on your blog with my lovely outfit? Connie

thekerrclan said...

This picture is not representative of mismatched outfits -- it is totally representing the SUPPORT my kids get for their endeavors!

Loni said...

We need Blueman group photos!!!!

Jenkins Family said...

So fun to see your family!