Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Future Presidents?

We've had a lot of political conversations around our house this week...and it's not because Greg and I are so politically minded.
In fact (go ahead, strike me down now) I really can't stand politics these days. I hate all the garbage that surfaces and name-calling that takes place. I don't even like to discuss politics with my own family members - -and we lean the same way.
But, we've been discussing politics because Addysen and Cannon both decided to run for Student Council. (Admitedly, I've made more than my share of signs, posters, pins and t-shirts over the years. I always loved student government.)

On Tuesday, they attended the informational meeting. They returned home to report that they had to bring in a poster and prepare a quick speech. They weren't allowed to promise anything: no extra recesses and no vacations from homework, for example. They also weren't allowed to bribe. So much for bringing candy to school. Ha ha. We actually discussed that people should vote for you because they think you'll do the best job - -not because you paid them off.

Yesterday in the car, our conversation went something like this:

Cannon: Joey and I are running against each other because we are opposite.
Me: What do you mean?
Cannon: Joey wants Obama and I am for McCain.
Me: What about Dillon? (Cannon's good friend and fellow opposition for the position of class representative.)
Cannon: Dillon isn't happy with either of his choices for President, but he says he'll settle for McCain.
Addysen: I wish Hillary Clinton was still in it.
Me: You do? Why? (Good thing Grandpa doesn't read our blog.)
Addysen: Because I think it would be so cool to have a lady president.
Me: Well, if McCain wins, Sara Palin will be Vice-president. What do you think about that?
Addysen: I don't know who she is...but it would be cool to have a lady.

This morning at breakfast:
Cannon: Wouldn't it be cool if the real presidents could vote for us?
Addysen: Yeah - that would be awesome.
Cannon: McCain would vote for me. Obama would vote for Joey.
Addysen: And I'd have George Bush vote for me.

And later:
Addysen: The candidates are allowed to vote. Can we vote for ourselves?
Me: Sure, why not?
Addysen: Because some kids say it's selfish to vote for yourself.
Me: Well, if you think you'll do the best job....go ahead and vote for yourself. I'm sure Obama and McCain will do the same thing.

And so it continues. Cannon's poster is done. Addysen's is almost finished. The speeches are written...the campaigning begins. (And ends soon - I think Cannon's class election is tomorrow.)

My only question: is it wrong that both kids made the exact same poster, same slogan and are using the same speech -- aside from their name differences, of course?

Their campaign manager just isn't feeling too creative these days.

11 comments:

Haylee said...

good luck to your two little politicians! I hate politics too... even as a youngster they got nasty. I ran for SBP in 6th grade. I won and then there was a rumor that I cheated and bribed people (I did'nt)and little kids in my class were signing an impeachment letter!! I sat down with the counslor and told her the whole truth, and I was able to stay in office the whole time.... I learned a good lesson about integrity, but that almost ended my political career (until my senior year of HS)
Your little ones sound so cute though, and I am sure they would both make great officers! :)

Katie said...

Haha this is great!! I think their campaign manager did a great job! ;)

Amy Franklin said...

Love this post, and I'm not sure why I'm getting a little choked up over it! Just another milestone kids reach as they get older! No elections in our schools yet, though. Both Cannon and Addysen would do a great job--I would totally vote for both of them!!!

thekerrclan said...

You aren't kidding about the milestones...and, already I'm stressing because what if one of them makes it and the other one doesn't? That thought breaks my heart.

The Piet Girls said...

I think Addysen and Cannon should be president of the United States together! They'd do a better job than any one I can think of. I hope they both win!

Betsy said...

How fun! What a great experience for your kids. And NO, I don't think it's bad that they are doing the same posters and speech. That's called a SMART MOM!

Hope it's not too late -- tell Addysen that my little brother lost the election by one vote because he voted for the other person, just to be nice! :) Good luck!

Cannon Clan said...

wow go cannon and addysen. he looks so cute! it makes me miss him. i often long for the days on 3839 mayfield road!

Dave and Loralee said...

hey tacie-I just read the post about greg and gas-HA THAT SOUNDED REALLY FUNNY!!! is it too late to do anything? we just got a letter in the mail asking us to lock in again or something. I'll probably have dave give him a call when he gets back in town.
your family is hilarious-I love catching up on your blog!

Sue said...

I love their posters. What a good mom you are! I love that they're campaigning and giving speeches. That's such a great thing to learn and be able to do - especially since more people are afraid to speak in public than of death.

I'm amazed at how aware kids are of the presidential candidates. I think online games like Presidential Pound and the Campaign Game have gotten them totally into it. We have debates amongst our kids for the candidates. Clay has been cheering for Barack Obama since his name first came up. I think it's the name.

Good luck to your kids!!

Aaron and Jessie said...

Love it! Those conversations are too funny. I can't believe they are old enough to do those kinds of things, the more I see and read your posts I'm realizing we've got to see ya'll soon before your kids grow up too fast. I'm not sure Brynlee knew who I was when I talked to her on her birthday. Great job campaign manager! Can't wait to hear the results

Sherrie said...

From an old studentbody officer herself....GO KERRS!!!!! I was just telling Andy this weekend that if our kids only chose one activity to be involved in...that I hoped it would be student government. :) Tell them both good luck for me, and to have FUN!!!