Friday, May 22, 2009

I know I shouldn't be happy...but I'm not upset either

This was in yesterday's paper. Remember my "Landlord Chronicles" from last February? Well, this was "The Landlord Chronicles" part 145,999,366,006,555. Suffice it to say that this was our former tenant. I'll spare you the details (unless you really want to know -- and then I'll give you more than you bargained for.) I've moved on...but I won't lie...this article didn't break my heart.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Emil Katrinak steals elderly man's life savings, gets 4 years in prison
Posted by Michael Sangiacomo/Plain Dealer Reporter May 20, 2009 09:12AM
Categories: Breaking News, Crime
Summit County JailEmil Katrinak
AKRON — Emil Katrinak, 41, of North Ridgeville was sentenced to four years in prison Tuesday for taking an 80-year-old man's life's savings in a Florida property development scam.

Katrinak pleaded guilty to theft from the elderly and grand theft on Sept. 2. He persuaded Armand Thierfelder of Stow, who uses a wheelchair and an oxygen machine, and the elderly man's family members to give him more than $140,000 for property investments.

Katrinak told the victim that he was using the money to build premium real estate in Florida and invited them to invest in the property development.

"This person scammed an 80-year-old out of his life savings," said Summit County Prosecutor Sherri Bevan Walsh in a news release. "He went to great lengths to impress the victims into believing his scam by flying them to St. Louis, picking them up in a helicopter he claimed was his own, putting them up in a posh hotel and claiming he was part owner of the St. Louis
Rams and multiple properties in Cleveland, Los Angeles, Erie and Tampa."

Walsh said the victim thought he was investing in properties that the defendant was building. In the end, he received nothing.

2 comments:

Miriam said...

What a horrible man! This really makes me rethink - being a Landlord,

Sarah said...

Holy crap! UNBELIEVABLE! I'm glad they caught him!