Sunday, January 17, 2010

A craving of a different variety.

No, this post isn't about my seriously-so-pathetic-craving for chocolate Thursday that I scrounged around until I came up with a hand full of chocolate chips. While it is true that I had been proud of myself on Monday for throwing out the fudge, I was seriously kicking myself on Thursday night. So...I settled for chocolate chips.

But, that isn't what this post is about.

No, this post is about a craving of a different variety.

Last summer while visiting my mom, my kids were introduced to Charles, Laura, Mary, Nellie, Miss Beetle...and the entire Walnut Creek gang. Are those names not ringing any bells? They are the characters from "Little House on the Prairie."


My kids were mesmerized.

Could it be that they are so starved for shows with an actual theme? Shows with morals? Consequences? Programs that have lessons about honesty and strong work ethics incorporated into the script? Could it be that the lame, television commonly found on the Disney Channel (Sorry, I have yet to EVER find any value in the whiny voices of Zack and Cody) has them so jaded that they think there is no life beyond Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place and Sonny With A Chance? (Not trying to totally bag on the Disney channel -- but I could seriously do without those shows... Oh wait -- as Addysen is quick to point out -- we ARE doing without those shows.)

Or, could it be that they are simply so starved for something to watch?

Since we canceled our cable (GASP!) my kids are the odd ones out among their friends. A certain child, who shall remain nameless, even had a tear-filled meltdown when American Idol started last week and she/he wasn't able to watch. Wondering how she/he would be able to show her/his face at school the next day -- not knowing the juicy details of who tried out, who Simon made of, what Kara was wearing and how Ryan Seacrest looked....let's just say my heart went out to her/him....NOT. Amazingly he/she survived.

I don't know the answer. But, I do know that since I rented Little House on the Prairie from the library -- they have been Eating.It.Up. (Of course, that is all some of them are eating as the stomach flu seems to be making its way around.)

So -- here's to the tv shows of the 70's (?) or early 80's. Here's to still teaching about hard work, honesty, modesty, integrity, respect for adults and self, bullying -- anything that teaches morals and responsibility.

Even though we will renew our cable contract one of these days (I can't stand to miss conference and the final season of LOST is about to commence...) Here's to more of, "Pa says,"....followed by deep seeds of wisdom by Laura Ingalls.

4 comments:

AKKerr said...

seriously, I think mom went a little toooo far with some stuff on this post.
And I was not quick to point out that we don't have cable. I didn't even know she was writing this. (SHEESH!)

Season said...

It's all about Little House on the Prairie and FULL HOUSE. A moral came with every show. :) But I have to admit—the reason we even GOT cable last year was so we could watch Lost. And I'm so excited for it to start up again. Tom and I just finished catching up on ALL the other seasons so we'd be ready. Are we pathetic? It's all relative.

The Beards said...

I love little house on the praire!!!

Chatty Family said...

I loved Little House and especially telling everyone that I shared a name with Melissa Glibert (did anyone care?). The real question is - will you get cable in time for the Biggest Loser finale?