Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Happy Birthday Grandma Elaine








It is with bittersweet memories that we honor and remember Greg's Grandma today -- on what would have been her 86th birthday. Grandma Elaine (as she was always known to me) passed away last week after complications from surgery. We know she is in a better place and free from the physical and mental difficulties which have plagued her these past few years. However, because we are human and selfish -- we will miss her.

I will never forget her love of all things sweet or her love for her little dog, Penny. Nor will I ever forget an incident that happened shortly after she moved out here. She was recovering from a broken hip(I think) and was visiting at our house. She was supposed to use a cane or a walker - but didn't want to do so. Penny took off in the backyard (which is fenced) and Grandma Elaine was a little concerned about whether or not Penny could get under the fence. So...she took off after Penny...shuffling quite quickly across the grass. The very uneven grass. I was so worried. I didn't think it was my place to reprimand Greg's grandma -- but I certainly didn't want her falling or getting hurt on my watch...and I didn't want to have to answer to Greg's parents if/when she did get hurt! I thought I could rest easy when we all moved into the house -- but I was wrong. Grandma Elaine started playing, "keep the balloon off the floor" with Brynnley and Kenzie! I'm still not sure how we avoided disaster that day.

Whenever I think of the words "grace" and "poise," Grandma Elaine's face comes to mind. It was rough to watch her memories fade and to see her realities become distorted. Opinions differed as to the best approach. Personally, I just figured it was best to let her tell and retell her stories -- so that is what she did when she was at my house. That...and hold babies and fold laundry!

We were lucky enough to have spent much of the last two years with her and I'm grateful my kids were able to know and love "Grandma E. Kerr."

Happy Birthday Grandma Elaine.

2 comments:

H.Cook said...

she is beautiful!

kerrbc said...

Tacie, thanks for the beautiful tribute to Grandma Elaine. She did love babies. She will be missed. Connie