Wednesday, February 18, 2009

How Pathetic Are Wii?

When Brynnley came downstairs Sunday morning, she was practically in tears. I asked what was wrong and she replied, "My tummy hurts."
I said, "Are you going to be sick?"
"No," she said, "But everything hurts...my arms and legs and tummy."
"Hmmm," I said, followed with my standard, "maybe it's because you are hungry. Why don't you eat breakfast?"

Not long after, Addysen entered the kitchen and said, "Oh, my stomach hurts SO bad."
Puzzled, I said, "Are you going to be sick?"
Just then, Cannon came in and said, "My somach is SO sore...it just hurts."

Suddenly, everything clicked. I knew that we had a "WII EPIDEMIC."

We have a Wii - thanks to the kindness of my parents.
We have a Wii Fit - thanks again to the kindness of my parents.
And, as of Valentine's Day, WE have a WII Outdoor Challenge Game...which the kids played for several hours on Saturday.

Comically, yet oh-so-pathetically -- they were all sore from log jumping, waterfall climbing, barrel racing, mountain boarding, kayaking, etc. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. So, I laughed...and as a result, they cried. (It hurt them too much to laugh.)

How is it that a 10, 8 and 5 year old don't get enough exercise...that they are sore from a video game? I don't recall sore muscles from my Pac Man and Donkey Kong days. (Yes, yes, I know...clearly not the same type of game.)

Of course, Greg and I could take all the blame...but it's much less of a parental guilt trip to pass some of the blame on to the school...and the lack of recess that goes on for nearly the entire winter. Case in point: Cannon got "frozen," aka "put in time out" at recess last week (one day out of 5 that they actually went outside) for running. I was so ticked when he told me...I emailed the principal. Since when can't an 8-year-old RUN AT RECESS? (He swears he was only walking fast anyway.)

I got a phone call in response to my inquiry. I guess I am supposed to understand that times have changed. Clearly, as parents, teachers and administrators in the year 2009 we have a responsibility to protect our kids from possible scraped knees,muddy shoes, cold hands, fresh air and exercise. Clearly, I am supposed to understand how damaging those potential situations could be for my child...or for other children.

Enough ranting.

Maybe I should have written Addysen a note excusing her from P.E. (yes, she did ask me too). Afterall, I'd hate for her to have experience anything. PERIOD.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Haha! I love this! Even your 5 year old was feeling it..go Brynnley!
Second, the public school systems can drive a person crazy, can't they? (Thus proves WHY I never want to use my teaching degree!) As a parent, I think we should be able to tell the teachers and administrators how OUR children should be taught/treated...times are changing!

Cathryn said...

Ok, I would have been fuming if my son was in trouble for running at recess. Are they serious? That is insane and ridiculous. The kids NEED to burn off steam so they can focus in class. Grrrr.

Amy Franklin said...

I heard about the sore abs last night...and thought I should get the game so that I could work on mine! I love that the Wii takes away the guilt of having the kids spend all day in front of the TV, since it does seem to be their only form of exercise.

Sherrie said...

I bought Andy Outdoor Challeng for his birthday in October, and we LOVE it. IT's my favorite! And it was good excercise for a pregnant lady!!! Ha! I was sore from it too! AND...Taylor got in trouble a few months ago for running at recess as well. I was ticked too. Glad to know that there are other mothers out there who still think that recess is supposed to be for getting energy out, not for standing around loitering in the school "playground". ha ha!!!

Cannon Clan said...

i love that the wii made your family sore. that is so funny. carson got in trouble for running around on field day....FIELD DAY!!

Tonya said...

They really run the kids around at the military Post School our kids go to. I guess they figure if physical training is mandatory for the parents it should be for the children as well.

That is seriously ridiculous!