Monday, February 9, 2009

Evolution of Family Life

At different stages of life, we must all say goodbye. Over time, I've parted with the following:

With Marriage:
* Said goodbye to only paying 1/4 of the rent and utilities.
* Said goodbye to being able to walk across my bedroom floor without stepping on socks.
* Said goodbye to only doing a portion of the cleaning...yet still having a relatively spotless house.
* Said goodbye to only being responsible for and accountable to myself.
* Said goodbye to the toilet seat always being in "my" position.
* Said goodbye to always getting to pick the radio station.

With 1 Child:
* Said goodbye to my self-imposed daily and weekly chore chart.
* Said goodbye to leaving the house in 10 minutes or less.
* Said goodbye to ironing Greg's shirts.
* Said goodbye to sleeping in.
* Said goodbye to spontaneous weekend trips and regular eating out.
* Said goodbye to my "6-pack." (ok, ok...you can't say goodbye to something that never really existed)
* Said goodbye to our 2 man tent.
* Said goodbye to hours and hours of leisurely reading.
* Said goodbye to alphabetizing the cd's and videos.
* Said goodbye to my "professional" attire.

With 2 Children:
* Said goodbye to guaranteed daily naps.
* Said goodbye to leaving the house with only 1 bag.
* Said goodbye to to leaving the house in 30 minutes or less.
* Said goodbye to the single stroller.
* Said goodbye to our 4 man tent.
* Said goodbye to reading novels.
* Said goodbye to going to the bathroom by myself.
* Said goodbye to thinking I was a patient person.

With 3 Children:
* Said goodbye to washing each person's clothes separately.
* Said goodbye to walking across the floor in bare feet.
* Said goodbye to running more than 2 errands at a time.
* Said goodbye to my favorite jeans.
* Said goodbye to leaving the house in less than 45 minutes.
* Said goodbye to our 2 door Nissan Sentra.
* Said goodbye to reading magazine articles in one sitting.
* Said goodbye to uninterrupted workouts.
* Said goodbye to talking on the phone.

With 4 Children:
* Said goodbye to sorting light and dark loads of laundry.
* Said goodbye to including the food groups at every meal.
* Said goodbye to keeping my house at 70 degrees.
* Said goodbye to my gym membership.
* Said goodbye to leaving the house in less than 1 hour.
* Said goodbye to any desire to go camping.
* Said goodbye to reading anything that required deep thinking.
* Said goodbye to ever going anywhere by myself.
* Said goodbye to remembering anything that wasn't written down.

With 5 Children: (Although it's only been 6 weeks, I've realized it's happening again...)
* Saying goodbye to daily make-up.
* Saying goodbye to non-air-dried and styled hair.
* Saying goodbye to folding laundry and putting it away. (OK - I've just GIVEN UP!)
* Saying goodbye to matching socks...it takes too long to look for matches in the piles of laundry that don't get folded.
* Saying goodbye to ever having a little extra cash sitting around for a rainy day.
* Wishing I could say goodbye to our Pontiac Montana...
* Saying goodbye to staying up past 11pm...BY CHOICE.
* Saying goodbye to leaving the house...PERIOD.

BUT JUST FOR CLARIFICATION....I would never trade ANY of these things for my beautiful little family. This post was spawned today when I realized that if it's not Sunday, or a day with an appointment...it's just too hard to do my hair and put on make-up. I started thinking of all the things that have gone by the wayside over the years....

9 comments:

H.Cook said...

I think you've convinced to have no more than 2 kids! :) Good luck! My parents had 5 kids and I know it was pretty hard, but now that we're grown it's pretty fun. We need more photos of Cambrie on here... If you get a chance

Betsy said...

AMEN!! To every word! Great post -- I loved it.

Katie said...

Haha..this post was great! I will have to say that your ENTIRE list is so close to mine and I only have 2 1/2 kids..dang it! :) Thanks for the laugh!

MetroParks said...

I love this post. I couldn't help wondering though at what point we will start going backwards and saying hello to all of those things again and wake up one day and to say, "wow, its quiet." I am still mourning the baby days.

thekerrclan said...

Well said, Sara. I don't even want to think about "going back" to the way things were. Ok - well maybe going to the bathroom by myself would be ok.

Aly G said...

This post made my day! I can relate! How are you anyway? So fun to come across your blog. I am a little new to all this! Love your blog and your sweet growing family! keep in touch www.groneyclan.blogspot.com

Sherrie said...

I love it. :) Your list could be my list!!!

yvonne said...

you're so good -you are so amazing that you kept doing all those things. With just two sadly my list is as good as yours with 5! I guess that's why you have the 5!

Bills Family said...

well put! With six you say goodbye to typing more than a few words at a time:)