Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A different birthday celebration











This year, I spent my birthday in Vegas - -celebrating with my parents, siblings and nieces and nephews. It just so happened that Greg and I were scheduled to be in Vegas for a seminar on Saturday -- and given the flight situation -- it made sense to stick around on Sunday which was my actual birthday. Not a normal birthday weekend for me...but so much fun! (Three cakes/treats in three days - -a little too much fun!)

We jammed a lot into a quick trip -- the temple, birthday shopping with my mom, golfing for the boys, a birthday dinner and games with the fam (I got spanked in Just Dance by my nieces and nephews and my dad...I need to practice my skills!)

We were in class all day Saturday -- from about 8am till 7pm....highly beneficial and lots to learn. It was so worth the trip out and we are so grateful to Greg's parents for taking such great care of our kids while we were gone. We could never have done it without them. Leaving is always hard...but knowing they are being well taken care of makes it easier.

To top it all off, we returned home Monday -- after only a short delay -- to find a cleaned up a house -- laundry folded -- Welcome Home & Happy Birthday signs - another birthday dinner complete with homemade bread and cupcakes -- and smiling, happy children!

I truly felt loved. Thanks for all the expressions of kindness and birthday wishes sent my way! (The 12 am text from my bro in CA wishing me a "Happy Birthday Young Gangsta!' and about 50+ birthday messages on FB before I had even gotten my not-so-young self out of bed!)
One year older and wiser too...I certainly know how to count my many blessings! 
(Including the fact that we made it back before the winter storm hit. The kids have been out of school for the past two days.)

5 comments:

Season said...

That looks so fun. I SO wish we could have been there!

Betsy said...

So, I'm the loser friend who actually *thought* of you, but never got around to sending birthday wishes. Happy Belated Birthday! Glad it was at least a warm one. Sounds like a good time!

H.Cook said...

I'm glad you had a great birthday! Way to live it up!

Cannon Clan said...

what a fun birthday! caleb loved talking to cannon on his birthday. i love that they still think of eachother!

Kris said...

What a treat for us, too, to get to share your birthday! Love much!