Saturday, February 12, 2011

Never Say Never

Thanks to their FUNCLE Spencer, Addysen and her cousin Brooklyn received movie tickets to the premier of the Justin Bieber movie "Never Say Never," as a Christmas present. They have been counting down the days, literally, and because they weren't allowed to go by themselves, I got to tag along Wednesday night.

We took our lanyards, our glow sticks, our 3-D glasses, our matching t-shirts (ok -- the girls were in matching t-shirts, thanks to Brooklyn's dad...although, I did wonder, "where was mine?" Kidding, of course.)...and we headed out to dinner before the BIG SHOW.) Oh, and yes, we did join a theater full of screaming, glow-stick waiving, JB-chanting girls and their moms and grandmothers...and one dad.


 In the car on the way there, the conversation went something like this:
Brooklyn: "Addysen, there is a new kid in my class who doesn't speak any English."
Addysen: "Oh yeah?"
Brooklyn: "Yeah, so I taught him how to say Justin Bieber."
Addysen: "That's good!"
Brooklyn: "Yeah - he told me he likes the Beatles but I told him he can't like the Beatles unless he likes Justin Bieber."
Me: "Sounds like you can communicate pretty well with a kid who can't speak English. When did you learn to speak Spanish so well?"





The show was pretty interesting and I realized I have not truly appreciated the power of social media. I also realized that there is marketing genius behind the idea of making a 3-D movie out of pop stars life...giving theater's full of fans all over the country an up close and personal experience -- as close as they will ever get to the real thing. At times, it was like we were at a concert..and I am quite sure that JB was referring to me, and only me, as his BABY. Oh yes, there was ONE LESS LONELY GIRL in the audience that night. For sure.

In the car on the way home:

Brooklyn: "We had to write story problems and this is what I wrote:

If Justin Bieber makes $100,000 at each concert and he does 8 concerts in the month of February, how much money does he make in the month of February?

AND

If Justin Bieber has $800,000 and he pays $170,000 for a haircut, how much money does he have left?


I asked her, "what did your teacher think of your story problems?"

She said, "She wrote, "WOW" on my paper."

That pretty much sums it all up. In the eyes of a third-grader...and the eyes of a fifth-grader...the night was WOW.

5 comments:

Season said...

Don't worry, Tace. I'll send you a Justin Bieber t-shirt for Christmas this year. And don't you mean 6th grader??

Kris said...

Brings back memories of an REM concert a few years ago! No wonder you have a headache! :)

thekerrclan said...

Oh man! I guess that is what I get for posting after coming off one of the worst headaches of my entire life. YES...I did mean 6th grader. Hello...offensive to my daughter. But of course, now I have to leave the post in its original form.

Aaron and Jessie said...

WOW! Does sound like quite an unforgettable night. I'm sure you and Jenny were fighting over who got to be the lucky one to go with the girls.

katie said...

I have Bieber fever. We LOVED the movie too! Pretty amazing story