Friday, July 18, 2008

For the Love of A Toad

The kids had a blast capturing toads before we left the campground last weekend. I was happy they were entertained while we tried to clean up the trailer, etc. 
In no uncertain terms did I say, numerous times, "We'll have a freedom celebration and let them go before we leave. WE ARE NOT KEEPING ANY OF THEM."
Cannon asked repeatedly why we couldn't keep them -- he really wanted one for a pet.
So, I reiterated (with extreme patience, of course) that they would not survive the 3 hour car ride and that we had no place to put them at home. It wouldn't be kind to keep them.

I thought I was pretty clear. But then, I think my instructions to wash hands after going to the bathroom, to use a napkin instead of a sleeve and to not burp are rather clear as well. Apparently, we have some communication issues.

We had our freedom celebration, said good-bye to the toads and got on the road. All was well.

Until we got home.

Cannon was suddenly very onry and somewhat distraught. He started commenting about wanting to keep the toads again. I chalked it up to fatigue.

Because we had company, Addysen was sharing a room with Cannon that night. Suddenly, she appeared in the doorway of the office and very adamantly declared, "Cannon kept one of toads - -now it's DEAD -- and on his dresser... and I am NOT sleeping in his room!"

Because I was on the phone with my mom, Greg went upstairs to check things out. He promptly returned holding a very stiff and very dry looking toad.

LOVELY.

Greg's first response was, "I'm going to keep it -- so that when I need to show the kids that their actions can have negative consequences, I'll have a great visual aide." I rather quickly disagreed...with the tactic...and with the idea of keeping a dead, and dried up toad within the walls of our home. GROSS.

Soon after, however, Greg's heart softened a bit. (Mind you, I was still trying to carry on a conversation with my mom during all of this chaos. I'm sure my parents can't wait to come and visit us in two weeks! Just listening to the things that go on is crazy enough...but to actually experience a few days with us -- WATCH OUT!)

I'm thinking it had something to do with the uncontrollable sobs coming from Cannon's room. He was heartbroken -- and fully aware of the fact that his decision to ignore our instructions led to the demise of his beloved toad. I'm not sure when he realized that no breath was coming from the creature, but it was somewhere near the time we arrived home. Thus, the incredibly bad mood.

So, rather than a lecture and reprimand....Greg, Cannon and Addysen had a discussion about decisions, listening to parents, etc....all the while, planning a burial and memorial service for the toad in the backyard. 

I'm just hoping some good learning took place as a result.

But, just like the toad, I won't be holding my breath.

4 comments:

Cathryn said...

"But, just like the toad, I won't be holding my breath." That was a PERFECT line! LoL.

Betsy said...

Oh MY!! I love that you kept the phone conversation going. . . that's the best part. Aren't Dads the greatest? :)

rachel said...

Oh my goodness, that was too funny!!!! Poor kid!

Mitzi said...

This story was absolutely RIVETING for my boys.... It's just a good thing Cannon made the discovery that it was dead, rather than you, a few days later. I told my kids that I don't EVER want to find a dead, decaying toad (or any other creature, for that matter) as I'm checking their pockets before starting a load of laundry.