Thursday, July 31, 2008

They Don't Know How Good They've Got It


Until they are older, my kids probably won't appreciate the gift they've been given this summer.

They have the opportunity to get to spend time with, and to get to know two of their great-grandmothers. Both of Greg's grandmas are here this summer - -and what a blessing it is for my kids...for all of us.

*************************
I have one memory of my Great-Grandma Warr...and it entails sitting at my grandparents house in Idaho a very long time ago. I think she wrote me a letter once. I wonder if my mom still has it somewhere?

As for my Great-Grandpa Smith: my memory is being in his driveway in Salt Lake when I was possibly in junior high or high school. He said, "If you can't have fun wherever you go, then damn it, don't go there." I thought it was hilarious -- and truly a philosophy to live by. I'm sure my mom does not appreciate that being my memory...but hey, it's not swearing if you are quoting, right?

I have a few memories of my Grandma B -- mostly the story about her house burning down the year she was to receive her last Christmas doll. As the flames took over, my great-grandma knew, somewhere amidst the fire, her doll was lost forever. After hearing that story, when Grandma B was much, much, older....my mom and I gave her a new "Christmas Doll." When she died, my grandma gave it back to me. It sits in our dining room hutch today.

****************
Right now, we have the privilege to get to know Great-Grandma Elaine (or Grandma E. Kerr as Kenzie calls her) and Granny. They are both in their late 80's and have struggled with health issues. But they are here now -- playing games with the kids, teaching Addysen to knit, chasing after Penny (Grandma Elaine's peek-a-poo puppy) and keeping us filled with great memories. They've been here for birthdays and will attend Cannon's baptism. They've been here for the birth of our newest niece (and if we're lucky, we can get Granny back from Florida when our new baby arrives!) They've been here for water fights in the backyard, the school talent show, Sunday dinners and so much more.

No, my kids probably won't recognize this gift until they are much older.

But I do.




6 comments:

Cannon Clan said...

that is so lucky! i only "remember" pictures of my greats. so some day those pictures will be treasures

Audra said...

Is Great-Grandma Warr, Arland's first wife, Gertrude? If is is, then I only have one memory of her, it must have been right before she passed away, and we were at the old farm house in Ammon. Anyway, aren't grandparents such fun!

Tacie Kerr said...

Grandma Warr was Gertrude's mother. How sad that you don't even know Grandma Purcell (that's how I still think of you -- but I guess for some of you (Season included), Colleen is the only grandma you've ever known.) Grandma Purcell made great lollipops and peanut brittle!

Miriam said...

How awesome that Greg's grandmas are still alive and that you have pictures of them with your kids.
What a treasure!

Aaron and Jessie said...

Those are special moments for your kids especially since they really haven't seen much of either of them until now, especially Grandma Elaine. When I was little I cherished those moments with my Great Grandparents, I'm glad my mom had pictures and journaling to tell just how much I enjoyed being around them, cause it's true you don't quite appreciate those moments until later on in life.

Terry's said...

I'm so glad you put those pictured up! We just were able to have one of my grandma's that we hardly ever see come visit while I was at my mom's. It is so neat to see them look at their great grand children and to watch the kids observe them too!
That was so special!