Thursday, October 23, 2008

No Wonder I Am Tired


Ok, I'll admit it: It's hard to be 31 weeks pregnant with #5...and that is when things go smoothly.

I knew it was probably just a matter of time - -given Kenzie's curiosity, love of climbing and getting into things she shouldn't. Yesterday was that time.

I was busy trying to fax some important documents and get dinner ready. I thought Kenzie was downstairs with the other kids. Greg was busy in the office as well. About 5:30, I heard her crying and calling for me. It was then that I discovered that she wasn't downstairs - -but upstairs in my bathroom. Imagine my dismay when I rounded the corner and first, smelled a terrible smell (turned out to be liquid wart remover), then, I found her crying, on top of the bathroom counter, soaking wet with stuff all over her mouth...and pills everywhere.

We quickly decided that since we had no clue as to how much, if anything, she had ingested, we better take her to the ER. I grabbed the bottles of Tylenol, prenatal vitamins and Sudafed and we took off. I was quite certain I was going to go into labor given how fast Greg was driving. It was a long/quick trip to the hospital. He kept telling me to relax - that he drives like that all the time (going straight through intersections on left turn green arrows, etc.) Yes, well, he may drive like that...but he doesn't do it with the whole family in the car...and our Pontiac Montana certainly isn't a police cruiser.

Long story short: we got to the hospital, the 3 older kids colored quietly for an hour while Kenzie was hooked up to monitors, etc. Greg's parents cut their dinner at Outback short so they could come and pick up the other kids. (We were very grateful!) Greg called a neighbor and asked him to go upstairs to our bathroom to count the remaining pills. (It didn't cross my mind to grab them all.)  Kenzie had to have an x-ray, a catheter and two rounds of blood drawn before (6.5 hours later) it was determined that she was probably ok. She either didn't take anything (she alternately told us she ate the pink and red ones...or that she'd licked them.) or had such a small amount that no levels of toxicity were detected in her x-rays, blood or urine. 
(It turns out the stuff all over her face was paint - from Addysen's room. There's a story for a different day. AND...she had managed to open a brand new bottle of Tylenol - - I found the silver foil wrapper when we got home. The girl is into everything!)

Yes, we were very lucky...and we are very grateful. Aside from being particularly grouchy and tired (all of us)...all is well. We're heading off for naps now...and hoping the trauma of this experience was enough to keep her out of the bathroom...and off of counters. 

What are the odds?

10 comments:

Ashlee and Shane said...

Scary!! OMG! And i can't believe you are preggo with number 5! I can't imagine! What a strong woman you are and you look sooo good for having so many kids! Good for you! And lucky you! :)

Miriam said...

-You are amazing! I would have lost it. I do like the fact that if you would have gotten pulled over for driving so fast -that maybe they wouldn't give Greg a ticket? I'm so glad that everything is well in the end.

Haylee said...

Oh WOW Tacie that is so scary!! We had a scare recently too with our little Jackson (see our blog for the story). I'm so glad that she was okay and that nothing serious happened... just reading your story made me nervous for the adventures we are going to have with Jackson... he is already into everything and he is only 13 months!

Audra said...

Oh how scary! I thought the bandage on her arm was a cast and you were going to say she broke her arm! I am glad she is okay!

Sherrie said...

Wow Tacie, I'm so glad she's okay. So...are you having contractions now? And I'm agreeing with you 100%...being pregnant with #5 is hard enough on the "good days"..sorry you guys had to go through that!

Aaron and Jessie said...

yikes! That is so scary, I'm glad she's alright. I can totally see Emmy doing something like that. Those pictures from your last post are super cute, I love the outfits and the leafs, you don't even look pregnant.

The Piet Girls said...

That is the worst feeling! I am glad everything turned out OK. Crazy girl!

katie said...

That is scary. Glad you didn't go into labor. Hope you go your well deserved nap!

Dave and Loralee said...

SCARY! but glad everything's okay. makes me wanna go collect all our meds and put them up high. also, jackie at bally's wanted me to tell you hi! she said she misses you guys!

Terry's said...

That is so scary! I've had to call poison control 3 times for my second child, but never go to the hospital! You are a champ!
Congrats on your baby by the way! Is it a boy or girl? You can't even tell in your family pics-you look great!