Saturday, October 31, 2009

Random thoughts during my self-inflicted torture

In no particular order, here are some random thoughts from my self-inflicted torture...AKA: Spinning With The Crazy Lady.

*My face is probably as red, if not more so, than that lady's bandana.

*She obviously is not an accountant because she certainly can't count very well. Every time she says, "just one more minute," or "we've only got one more song," she continues on and on and on -- well past one more of anything.

*I wonder if they make goggles for spinning? I certainly could use something to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

*I wonder if this sweat could count for precipitation? or condensation? It's certainly not evaporation...I guess it's just simply perspiration. (I had helped Cannon review for his science test prior to going to the gym.)

*Since my hair is soaking wet, I should have just brought shampoo with me. It would save me time at home.

*We all know money doesn't grow on trees. But, what was I thinking when I ate those three 100 Grand bars last night? Do I think 'If I eat it, it will come?" (I really could use S100,000) Greg would call that 'low-calorie' logic. Unfortunately for me, those candy bars probably weren't low-calorie....and eating three of them (mini or not) was certainly not logical.

*How can she say, "It's time to get in the game," when I am already exhausted? Perhaps I should inform her that I seemed to have lost the game about 15 minutes ago. Get in the game?

*Looking up, I see her raising both arms to the sky and pumping her fists in the air -- all while I am thinking, "Does someone need to spray their bike? Seriously, make that squealing stop. Oh wait, Is that ME wheezing? Or is the guy next to me?"

*As she yells out, yet again, "Get in the game...you've only got one more left," I think, "Maybe she's on drugs."

Flashforward to this morning:
In honor of the day, we dressed as Gluttons for Punishment and went back today for the Halloween Special. It was a 90 minute spinning adventure full of jumps, endurance, speedwork, intervals, hills and not one, not two, not three, but four fun-filled sprints.

It was a pre-emptive move. Knowing that four out of our five kids would be coming home tonight with sacks full of candy, it only made sense that we try to do something to combat the potential weight gain. So, we went back. For more sweat. More wheezing. More quad burning and more random thoughts.

At one point, I must have been hallucinating. As the instructor talked about "feel that mud underneath your tires. It's thick, it's mucky and you've got to get through it," I started thinking about our Mormon ancestors. The Pioneers who crossed the plains in 3 feet of snow with no shoes on. Seriously. Don't get me wrong...I certainly wasn't comparing my spinning adventure to what they went through. No way. Just crazy random thoughts. I'm pretty sure that thought was followed by, "good thing Greg knows CPR."

And, "I wonder if there is a way to recycle sweat?"

At some point during Bon Jovi's "Livin' On A Prayer," that is exactly what I was doing: Living on a prayer. As Jon and the boys belted out, "OHHH, We're half-way there, OHHH, LIVIN' ON A PRAYER," I was thinking, "Yeah, and my prayer is that I won't fall off the bike and that I won't choke on my water or spit it out while gasping for breath."

The fun (?) continued. For a good hour and a half.
And then....it was done.
Just like that.
We were sweaty (drenched is more like it), and smelly and a little shaky, but overall...good.

So, we did what anyone would do after a highly energizing and heart-pounding workout.

We went home and took a nap.

3 comments:

Cannon Clan said...

my six weeks are up time to start the self inflicted torture over here.

Sue said...

You're amazing. An hour and a half of spinning class? I've had some of those thoughts. I turn redder than anyone I know when I work out and get multiple comments of "are you okay?" which actually means "you look like you might drop dead at any moment". I think the goggles are a great idea~

Ryan's got his road bike on trainers in our basement and I currently spend a lot of time watching all of my tivo'd TV (I particularly enjoy the Biggest Loser while I'm biking). Then I don't have to worry anyone that I might die. Or drown them with my sweat.

Season said...

You make me terrified to ever try spinning. I say "It's not worth it." :)