Thursday, June 23, 2011

Cub Scout Day Camp - Cubstruction

Master Archer, Cannon Kerr


The fire department discussed fire safety, and proceeded to spray the boys with their hose.

Hard to see, but this is Cannon's edible fire. Marshmallows were the fire ring, pretzels for wood, candy and fruit snacks for coals and noodles for tinder.
Cannon has been at Cub Scout Day Camp all week. (Well, except for Monday because that was the first day of the golf lessons he and Addysen are taking this summer.)
Tuesday, I was lucky enough to get to be the parent volunteer.
I actually don't mind going down -- and I truly admire the parents who take their vacation time from work to be the den leaders for the entire week. Spending 8 hours a day, for 5 days, with 250 scouts takes a lot out of person. (Of course, I wouldn't know for sure because I have never been there more than 2 or 3 days.)
I think the scouting program is awesome though and I am truly grateful to all of the leaders who have helped, and continue to help, Cannon with his scouting pursuits. He has just earned his Arrow of Light and will be moving on to the next level (don't ask me what that level is) when he turns 11 next month.
As for day camp, Cannon has had a fun, but exhausting week. The weather has alternated between breezy, sunny, muggy and hot, with a few downpours mixed in. (That was all just on Tuesday when I was there.)
Cannon is a master "archer" and loves learning about how to build fires. He also loves the variety of sports they play. I thought the cement handprint was a cool project -- although had I known I would be mixing cement for 4 hours on Tuesday, I would have worn different clothes.
All-in-all, a good week and a good learning experience.

No comments: