Sunday, April 5, 2009



The grading period ended on Friday and as a result of good report cards, Greg suggested we take the kids to a movie. That has indeed become a rare treat around. I honestly can't remember the last movie I saw in a theater and, on the rare date night, I usually opt NOT to go to a movie for fear I will just fall asleep anyway.
Truth be told, I think Greg just wanted an excuse to go and see "Monsters vs. Aliens." I didn't even know what it was. (How can a mother of 5 not know what the latest Disney/Pixar movie is?) When they mentioned it was in 3-D - I asked, "What's it rated? Are the kids going to be scared?" Clueless, I am.
So, off we went. Have I mentioned that movies are a rare treat? Do you have any idea what it costs to take a family of 7 (even if you aren't paying for one child) to a MATINEE? Oh my goodness. Oh, and did I mention that it costs EXTRA for the 3-D glasses? What a way to make a buck (or$15)-- especially since they offer a recycling container for the glasses after the movie.
I about choked when Greg told me the ticket prices (after purchasing them). This was all one day after attending the budgeting class at church, no less. But of course, there was no going back so we took off to find our seats.
I should add that Greg is a really fun date. You don't just get the movie and plastic glasses with him...you get popcorn and a drink, as well as candy. So, after finding our seats, he took Cannon and Addysen to get a snack.
**Let me interject -- we've been talking about the economy a lot lately. The kids have talked a lot about it in school and they've asked a lot of questions. We have many friends and family members who have lost jobs, etc. It's on their 8 and 10-year-old minds. So, how sweet is it that when Greg went to pay for the popcorn, Cannon pulled a couple of dollars out of his wallet and said, "Here Dad, I can help with that."**
Anyway - the movie was fun. I enjoyed the 3-D effects more than the actual storyline. Kenzie opted not to wear the glasses because, "things in the movie kept trying to get me." Cambrie was a trooper during her first "real" movie and didn't make a peep. All-in-all, a fun family date night - despite the expense. And, we're glad for the good report cards.

Just a sidenote: our kids wanted to keep their 3-D glasses to play with. But, we quickly gathered them all up (no recycling for us) to put them in a safe spot -- just in case we ever attempt to go to another 3-D movie.
Better yet, perhaps in these rough economic times, we should post an ad on Craig's List to rent our glasses. We'll only charge $2.00 per pair, rather than the $3.50 the theater charged.

Unless, of course, you are our friend and a loyal reader of our blog. We'll be happy to let you borrow them.

1 comment:

The Piet Girls said...

We also splurged and went to see the same movie, but we had saved our 3D glasses from Christmas time when Grandma took us. We thought were so smart. We thought we wouldn't have to pay the extra fee for the glasses, but they trick you. It's not the glasses you are paying for, it's the theater experience. I choked as I handed the lady the money and we went anyway. A rare treat indeed. So sorry to break the news to you. It is a nice treat though and I'm glad you enjoyed it.