Sunday, April 26, 2009

In theory, it was a good idea.


We've had beautiful weather this weekend. The kind of weather that makes you just want to put everything on hold and soak it all in. But, life must go on.

Yesterday was a busy day with soccer games and baseball practice. I hate missing my workouts (they aren't doing much for my waistline but they sure do a lot for my sanity) so I had a GREAT idea.

Since Cannon and Brynnley had games at almost the same time, and since the soccer field is only 1.5 miles from our house, I decided I'd get my workout in on the way to/from the game.

I left Addysen home with Kenzie and off we went -- Cambrie in her carseat in the jogger, Brynnley crammed in next to her, Cannon on his bike behind us, water bottles, cellphone, blanket, lawnchair, and cleats tucked into the back of the stroller.

It didn't take me long to realize running was a bit harder with all that stuff. It also didn't take long for me to realize we were having an "adventure" that we wouldn't be repeating anytime soon.

Now, I knew when we set out that there weren't sidewalks part of the way. But that was ok because there is a large gravel area along the road -- making it safe enough to travel. Of course, I didn't factor in the 3 days of rain we'd just had -- or even considered the huge potholes we'd have to traverse.

As if that wasn't enough, much to my dismay, as we turned the corner, I realized there were NO sidewalks all along the road leading to the soccer fields. Not only did we have to dodge potholes and, as Cannon pointed out, mailboxes, we now had cars coming from both directions. (Soccer is a big deal here!)

Suffice it to say, I got a better workout than I'd planned.

My apologies to all of you who traveled this way yesterday around 10:30 and 12:30 pm. Yep, (as a certain friend pointed out at church today,) I was the crazy lady with all the kids running down the middle of the road yesterday.

Live and learn.

8 comments:

Kimberly Davis said...

Oh my gosh, we have the same life.....THANK YOU for making me laugh & feel normal!!!!

Betsy said...

Ugh. I hate when good ideas go bad. I have done things like this -- not funny when they're happening, but comical in the long run. You're such a good mom. :)

Unknown said...

Jim always tells me that I try to "maximize time" way too much and get myself into similar situations. I can totally relate to your "adventure", sounds like it was a good one!

rachel said...

I probably would have done the same thing! You're such a great mom!

Mansell Six said...

That totally makes me laugh!! I wish I could have been their to see it!! Good for you to be out running!!

Aaron and Jessie said...

Yes, I love that cause I can totally relate. I did that going to Maile's dance a couple months ago thinking there was a dirt path along the highway, nope! I was going up and down huge rocks and weeds trying to avoid cars going 60 miles an hour. Bad idea! and killer workout!

katie said...

I wished I could of seen you and all your gear!! That I would say definetly counts as a work-out!

Chatty Family said...

I love the dedication! Think of all of the extra calories burned! I am sure the traffic got your heart pumping all the more!