Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Can $36 Buy Peace of Mind?

We have car insurance. And life insurance. And home insurance. And medical insurance.

Now, we have legal insurance.

Ok, so it's not really INsurance....it's more like legal ASSURANCE.

I can't tell you how many times I've said, "If only we had an attorney in the family...someone we could ask questions too...someone who could help us out." (We do have attorneys in the family, but they aren't licensed in Ohio.)

In Greg's line of work, they've told him from day one, "It's not IF you'll get sued, it's WHEN you'll get sued." How's that for a "glass-is-half-empty" kind of attitude? 

And yet, just last year, an officer who was 2 months away from retirement got into a shooting. It was totally legitimate, yet the city settled with the "so-called" victim (he who was driving the stolen vehicle) to avoid the legal hassles. What a way to end your career, huh?

And sadly, that seems to be the state of the world...and not just for police officers (and landlords!)

I resisted as long as I could -- simply because it BUGS me that I would ever need an attorney. (No offense to you who are attorneys.) I like to think of myself as a law-abiding citizen...someone who just does their own thing. But sadly, we find ourselves in need of legal assistance all the time -- for all kinds of things.

As landlords, the issues are endless. If we'd ever had any clue....

Oh, how hindsight is 20/20.

For example, years ago, one of our tenants, who, mind you, we had to evict for nonpayment of rent, sued us for $13,000. You can imagine what a fun letter that was to get in the mail. Her 11-year-old son, ran down the wood stairs with socks on and fell and bumped his head. Apparently, somehow, that was our fault.

Thankfully, we had insurance, but, rather than fight the ridiculous suit, our insurance company settled with her - -it was cheaper that way. So...she lived in our house -- WITHOUT PAYING -- for 3 months (that's how long it took to evict her), only to get $3000 from the insurance company for a bump on the head. We still have an outstanding judgment against her - but we simply can't collect.

And our insurance company dropped us shortly thereafter.

Hmmm...I wonder if I can collect from my mortgage company every time one of my kids slips on the stairs or scrapes their knee on the driveway?

Unfortunately, in the last year alone, we've had a car accident (not our fault, but not without legal headaches to get it resolved) and MANY landlord/tenant issues. I've been in court 3 times  since October. Granted, these tenants were smart enough not to try and sue us. After all - they were the ones that destroyed our property, didn't pay their rent or utilities, made unauthorized changes to the house(s)....the list goes on. We were trying to collect from them. It was an effort in futility.

Sadly, because we can't afford an attorney, (seriously, who can afford $150-$400 an hour - -just to ask a question?)  I posted an ad on Craig's List -- seeking some legal advice. (How is that for desperate?) Amazingly, I actually got someone to respond...and he ended up representing us for a decent price. Unfortunately, because the laws are ludicrous, this same attorney decided he couldn't continue representing us without charging hundreds, if not thousands more....to get another judgment, which, in all reality is totally uncollectible anyway.

Go figure.

The stories could continue...but I'll spare you. Suffice it to say, that I've finally resigned myself to the fact that it may be better to pay a small monthly fee, rather than be blindsided by some of the issues we all face: identity theft, tickets, will preparation, document review, dishonest mechanics, questions that we need answered by a legal professional, discounted attorney fees if and when the time comes...

So, we're trying this out. Pre-paid legal services. Any of you ever tried it? I'm hoping my $36 a month will buy me some peace of mind -- and a few less headaches. 

As it stands right now, I'm sure I spend at least that much on Tylenol and bottled water to wash it down every month.

12 comments:

Eliza said...

In your case it looks helpful. But when it is just the regular joe smoe, I think it could be a pain.

ie:

We were taken to court (by a friend, who bought it and thought, "hey I think I'll try this for fun since I have it"... nosso much a friend anymore) for the most ridiculous reason but to cover ourselves we had to pay for a lawyer. Long story short and $500.00 lawyer fees later .... we won but did we? I guess we should have the $36 coverage to protect ourselves from people like him.

Sarah said...

I've heard that those prepaid legal places are actually worth it. I think in your situation, it will definitely bring you some peace of mind! People sue over anything they can anymore.

Good luck, Tacie!

Ashlee and Shane said...

Oh goodness...We used to manage an 80 room apt. ccomplex. Glad that is over with, but that is just me. Someone sued the owner's b/c they thought the hole in their wall wasn't being fixed properly...they were fixing it, not putting it off...but i guess it wasn't getting fixed fast enough and when the guys were fixing it they left scrappings in their house without cleaning it. That made them mad, so they took pics of it...i only found out they took pics of it when they came to me suspecting that someone had broke into their apt. trying to steal the evidence(the pics)...they were retarded. Who else do they think could have broken in, but Shane and I, to want to steal evidence. That made me mad. Anyway, i found out a lot about PEOPLE from that job. :)It is amazing what people will sue for. People just want to blame everyone else for their own mishaps.

thekerrclan said...

Eliza - OUCH! Some friend. It's my understanding that the prepaid legal services are to protect you -- in case you get sued, or need a letter written on your behalf, etc. They only offer discounted legal services if you are the instigating the lawsuit.
People are CRAZY...and since I can't seem to get away from them....I might as well try to protect myself against them, right?

thekerrclan said...

PS - I consider myself the regular Joe Schmoe. :)

Sherrie said...

Tacie, at this point, I think that anything which brings you a little peace of mind is worth it. :) All I have to say about all the worthless, dishonest, lawbreaking, peace-destroying people is...keep it up, but don't expect the fires to stop burning or the earth to stop quaking too soon. HA!

Audra said...

Oh wow, I feel bad for you! You might need something stronger than Tylenol!

Cathryn said...

I think my blood pressure just went up reading about all your "legal issues." Yikes. People are insane.

Betsy said...

I'm pretty sure that the firm that my my attorney brother-in-law works for does this. And he's a legit guy. :) I definitely don't think it could hurt. It's like the same price (or less) as a date night! I hope it helps. I am ALWAYS amazed at what people sue for. Seriously unbelievable. Good Luck! And let us know how it goes. . . it may be worth looking into in our line of work as well!

Eliza said...

In my case the regular "joe schmoe" had nothing to protect but his job (name/pride I could go on and on) which he lost in the process of all of this. AND he did use this prepaid legal to do it all. That was all I was trying to say hence my preface in saying it would be helpful in your case. Not so much people who think it is a way to sue people to try and save face.

So, looks like we agree. :)

thekerrclan said...

Eliza -
Yeah - we do agree. People are insane and it's a ridiculous world in which we live. I'm so sorry that you had to deal with the headaches. I know what kind of a toll it's taken on us...and even when it's over, it never really seems to be over.

The Piet Girls said...

I think it sounds good. I always love to hear about people's opinions of legal fees. They are ridiculously high, but I shouldn't really say that outloud. I wish John could help you out someway. Too bad lawyers can't practice anywhere. I can't believe all your legal issues! What the heck?