Tuesday, June 24, 2008

All in the Name of Education

I try to be a good mom.

I want my kids to be excited about learning.

Today, in an effort to be a good mom, I took my kids to the library to see "Dr. Insecta."

I should have known better.

I mean, given how much I love bugs and insects of every kind.

The cockroach wasn't too bad. I was far enough away to not be up close and personal.

The talking lady bug didn't bother me.

Neither did the freeze-dried grubs that some lucky audience members got to eat.

I thought the scorpion was gross, but again, distance was a factor.

Ahhh...but then he brought out the tarantulas and let them crawl all over eager volunteers. I tried to pretend that I just had to keep a close eye on Kenzie. Of course, the reality was that I was purposely avoiding eye contact -- or any sort of contact with those creepy creatures.

I did learn some fascinating facts, however.

*The tarantulas and scorpion didn't bite Dr. Insecta because he was too big. They knew better than to waste their venom. Removing the fangs on their insects "alters their body make-up" so they let them be.

*If you drop a $400 tarantula (yes, apparently, people actually pay good, hard-earned money for these things,) from 5 feet and it lands on cement and cracks open its abdomen, you can use superglue to fix it. Given enough time, it will completely heal and crawl out of its exo-skeleton. (A true story from the bug man himself. And sorry, I can't remember all the correct terminology.)

*The smaller the scorpion, the more venom they hold. So, if you're going to step on one, make it a nice, giant one.

*And finally, the most memorable and highly useful fact of all: the tree-living tarantula (again, sorry - I forgot it's "official" name) is a "projectile pooper." When it deficates, it can shoot up to 2 feet away. AND...if that isn't enough, it is smart enough NOT to shoot towards the ground, thus alerting predators as to its whereabouts. Nope - it shoots across the trees.

That visual actually reminds me of one of Addysen's first diapers when she was a newborn just home from the hospital. I had NO idea that someone so small was capable of such damage and power. I quickly learned not to leave any body parts exposed while changing her diapers.

And there you have it. Dr. Insecta in a nutshell.

The things we do in the name of education.

********************
PS - All kidding aside, the kids loved the program...even Kenzie. Although, she was mad that she didn't ever get to hold one of the insects.




http://www.amazingmaxwell.com/Library-Web-Page.jpg


5 comments:

The Piet Girls said...

You're giving me the creepy crawlies.

Audra said...

Maybe its name should be the tree-pooping tarantula instead. And yes I am a little grossed out right now! I did know that about scorpions though, I learned it from the new Indiana Jones movie. (Which wasn't that good, in my opinion) You are a great mother and I would have never done something like that!

Cathryn said...

Ok..wow. The whole "crawl of of its exo-skeleton" is the most disgusting and freakish thing I have ever heard.

Andrew would have SO eaten one of those frozen grubs; why does he want to eat a bug? I have no idea.

Logan would have wanted the tarantula on him, and then I would have had nightmares that he was being eaten by one.

Joshy and I would have been scared...very scared. Ick!

Sarah said...

What an educational blog you have!!!

My boys would have loved that so much!

Jennifer said...

$400 for a trantula?! That is bizzare... had I only known that earlier - we had two of them as our 3rd grade class pets and we often found them on the roads, in the parks, and, once, in my house (back in Oklahoma, by the way) - crazy... sounds like an interesting time you had