Friday, May 23, 2008

Mother of the Year? Not Likely

It's 9:30 on Friday evening. I am in my pj's and Greg is at work. I'm finally to the point where I can sit down and watch tv for a few minutes. (I usually use folding laundry as my excuse...but tonight, I'm not even doing that.) 

Of course, with technology these days, a person can't even watch tv without the remote control...and I can't find it....anywhere. For whatever reason, one remote controls the tv in the family room and the tv in the basement. I'm sure it has something to do with the satellite -- but that is a rant for another day.

I searched and searched...remembering that Cannon tried to sneak downstairs and watch tv as soon as he walked in the door from school. Again, a rant for another day. (Yes, clearly I am one ranting lady.) I didn't WANT to wake him up...but after looking for 10 minutes to no avail, I did what any-desperately-tired-not-quite-ready-for-bed- mother would do. I woke up my sleeping child to ask what he had done with the remote.

Cannon doesn't wake easily...so the conversation went like this:
Me: Where is the remote?
Cannon: What remote?
Me: The one for the tv...the one you had after school.
Cannon: What? Why are you asking me these things?
Me: Because I want to watch tv and can't find the remote.
Cannon: What's the big deal?
Me: I want to watch tv and can't find the remote. You had it after school. Where did you put it?
Cannon: What? What are you talking about? What is a remote? (This from the tv-junkie himself.)
Me: (Trying to be patient with his-nowhere-near-awake-little-self) Cannon, where is the remote? What did you do with it? I've looked and can't find it.
Cannon: You aren't making sense. What are you talking about?
Me: The remote for the tv. Where is it?
Cannon: Behind the beanbag in the basement.
Me: Ok - go back to sleep.

Seriously, did he hide it there when he was mad that I told him he wasn't allowed to watch? It's just a good thing I ignored my conscience and woke my sleeping child. I would have never thought to look behind the beanbag. 

But hey, this was important, right? Afterall, I have season finale's DVR'd and calling my name. What else could I ask for on a Friday night?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

If they are handing out bad motherhood awards for that, I get at least two or three. What is it with males and the remote????

Audra said...

I thought it was funny that he told you in the end, like he was just playing all along!

rachel said...

How funny! I probably would have done the same thing.
Sorry we kept Greg up so late last night!

Chatty Family said...

Sometimes I literally LIVE for TV after the kids are in bed. I just figure there are worse things people use to unwind! Glad I'm not the only one DVR-ing my shows for a quiet night.

Lisa said...

That is so funny! Sounds like something I would do too, though.

Jessica said...

I am still laughing. Of course you wake up the kid that hid it. I do not watch live TV anymore either. Almost everything I watch is recorded on my DVR. Who has time for commercials or timing your life for what is on TV?

Glad that Cannon told you in the end.

origami-man said...

Tacie, it's momorama.blogspot.com

Cannon Clan said...

so funny, i think fare play to wake them up once and a while, they do it to us plenty:)

MetroParks said...

If we could only learn how to channel those semi-conscious moments with our children and program them to clean up after themselves and speak only loving and kind words to their parents and siblings! I think I deserve a mother of the year award too. Are you passing them out?

Lexie said...

I still think you deserve the mother of the year award, I'm always amazed at how much you do!