Friday, May 30, 2008

Showers Are So Overrated


Arguably, if I believed in jinxes, I might think I did this to myself. Just last night at Enrichment, some friends and I were discussing how hard it is to leave our kids alone while we shower. Of course, we recognize the extreme need for sanitation (and escape!), yet the thought of what can happen to our homes (translation = walls, carpets, curtains, couches, etc) or worse yet, our children, in the few minutes it takes to shower makes one question the true necessity of getting clean.

During the conversation, I think I said something to the effect of, "Brynnley can usually be trusted while I shower, but Kenzie is another story."

Clearly, I spoke too soon. 

Today, for reason's unknown to anyone, Brynnley came inside during the 10 minutes I was upstairs, and cut her hair -- AGAIN.

She is 41/2 years old and has never had an official haircut. However, today's episode constitutes the 3rd time scissors have come in contact with her tresses. YES -- the third time.

The first time was after she got blue silly putty stuck in her golden locks.

The second time was in the Fall -- about 1 week prior to her preschool pictures. She claimed she didn't like her bangs always being in her face. (Don't ask how many times I've tried to keep those same bangs out of her face by putting in clips, barretts or rubberbands!)

Which leads us to the today -- the third time. 

For a girl who claims to LOVE* LOVE* LOVE* how long and beautiful her hair is getting -- there seems to be no explanation.

For the record....she is grounded from using scissors.

But, given that one of the Enrichment topics last night was to try and maintain a positive attitude...here's my spin...at least it was the other side of her head this time. How's that for positive?

Oh yeah...in case my sanitary habits start to slide, you'll know it's because, in the interest of my children's safety, I've given up showers.

7 comments:

Chatty Family said...

Hey! You CANNOT be held accountable for things your children do during your shower time! Keep saying that to yourself and don't give up the often times ONLY time you have to yourself. Kids smell fear - or is that MY lack of a shower today?

Amy Franklin said...

I cannot believe she did that the DAY AFTER our conversation! Did we jinx it?!?! Are we far enough removed yet to think it's a little bit funny? Because I'm starting to chuckle after the shock has subsided....

Lisa said...

You always look back and laugh at those things. . .eventually. When Melissa was that age she cut several chunks out of her--one of which left that section only 2 inches long! Good thing it is only hair and it grows out!

Lisa said...

And I thought I proof read it. Shoot. It sounds like I said she cut out chunks of her skin! I meant HAIR, people. HAIR.

Jessica said...

How funny! My 4 year-old is grounded from crayons and markers. The crayons are a week long restriction for drawing on the back of the couch. The markers have been a year long restriction for drawing all over car seats and herself in the moving van.

I jinx myself like that all the time. I say or think, "Oh, I do not have a problem with that." Pretty soon, my humility lesson kicks in.

rachel said...

I'm so sorry! I use to have Whitney watch The Diving Girl movie when she was little and we would say "Oh No!" when she cut her hair and make such a big deal about how she cut off all that beautiful hair and how Whitney should never cut her own hair. For some reason it really scared Whitney away from scissors.

Betsy said...

Arrrgh!! I hate those darn showers! I can't believe how many things go awry while I'm trying to actually make our home a bit of heaven by showering. (sigh) So sorry.