Saturday, February 2, 2008

Did I Love Him More?

Greg is all the way in the back, on the left.
I managed to get through most of the broadcast of President Hinckley's funeral without getting overly emotional. That was due, in large part, to the fact that Brynnley and Cannon kept running around the family room. It was only after I "excused" them to go downstairs, that I was truly able to focus on the words and music. I laughed and smiled during the reflections given.
How can you really explain how you feel about the Prophet?
Just 2 weeks ago, I taught Relief Society in our new ward. I commented that although President Hinckely certainly didn't know me: I felt like he was my friend. I pondered: How can I teach my children to feel the same way about the Prophet? To listen to his counsel and guidance with the same attentiveness that they would use when listening to a close friend?
My tears started during the closing song -- when the video clip began to play.
Brynnley (who had come back upstairs by this point) quickly stopped running and said, "Why are you crying?" I replied, "Because I loved him."
She looked at me, with her 4-year-old wonder and replied, "Everyone did. Did you love him more?"
And so, with profound wisdom, so often found in children, she summed it up. I do feel like I loved him more -- just as I am sure everyone who is mourning his passing feels - -that he or she loved him more.
**********************************************************************************
President Hinckley was sustained as the Prophet one week before Greg and I got married. His counsel and wisdom has literally guided our entire marriage and parenting experience. We all have our memories, and I will forever be grateful for mine.
* When he spoke at SUU's graduation, I had the opportunity, as a waitress at Adriana's, to serve lunch to President Hinckley and those who traveled with him. There was a lady who came into the church where we were serving and she desperately wanted her 4 or 5 year old daughter to meet him. (The little girl had drawn a picture for him.) She was "paparazzi-like" in her desire to see the Prophet. She forced her way to the crowd -- almost to the point that the security personnel had to restrain her. At the time I thought, "Lady, we all want to meet him...but back off." Not exactly the attitude I should have had -- but I felt the same sense of urgency. Knowing how I felt as a young newlywed, I can now appreciate the experience that mother wanted for her child.
*I remember the counsel to only have one set of ear piercings. I was a new mom and momentarily questioned whether or not that applied to me. (I know - - I'm not the most intelligent being.) But, I listened, and took my extra earring out.
*Greg had the amazing opportunity to be local security for President Hinckley, Elder Maxwell and others when they came to rededicate the Kirtland Historic Sites a few years ago. (http://www.meridianmagazine.com/kirtland/prophet1.html
Although I didn't spend the weekend traveling with the Prophet, I got to live vicariously through Greg. I enjoyed being in the chapel for two days, listening to our leaders speak. Unfortunately for me, I don't remember all of the words spoken, as I was transfixed watching Sis. Hinckley and Sister Maxwell - - so beautiful and always smiling. It was a joy to shake their hands when the meeting was over.
Many have expressed that it's hard to imagine life on this earth without President Hinckley. I echo those sentiments. And yet, how grateful we are for his life, his legacy and his love.

6 comments:

Eliza said...

I cried at the very same moment. What a fantastic week it has been here in Utah... to be able to watch something about him on TV everyday. I don't want it to be over but how grateful I am to know that we will be lead by another great man.

The Atwood's said...

That's a great picture. Greg is so lucky to be security, he get's to meet all the cool people!! :) I definately feel like I loved him more too. Thanks for the post Tacie. We really miss having you guys in our ward.

Nicole said...

Hello Tacie! Nice to see what you've been up to lately! We'll check your blog out more often!

Sherrie said...

Tacie, thank you for that awesome post. I was just telling Andy yesterday that I felt like President Hinckley was "my prophet", the one I've had during my very critical and important years: last year of high school, college, newlywed...and now a mother of 4. What an impact he and Sis. Hinkley have had on what and how I teach in the home! Yes! I loved him more as well! :)

H.Cook said...

Thanks for sharing all those stories!

Oliver and Keisha said...

Hi to the Kerr Family! I'm just loving this blog thing--as I find out that more and more people are doing it and I get the chance to see what everyone is up to. Looks like you guys had quite a year last year. Your family sure has grown--they are gorgeous!
Keisha Thuernagle