Saturday, March 15, 2008

Find Fresh Meaning In Easter

      
Lately, I've been struck by the fact that I have an Easter Lilly on my table, and a poinsetta on my hearth. It seems odd to still have a "Christmas flower" hanging around, months after the holiday.  And yet, it seems sillier to even consider throwing out a perfectly good and still beautiful plant. It's not just about the plant...but what it represents...and my great need...my great desire to have the spirit of Christmas in my home year-round.
With that thought, I've caught myself looking for the "deeper meanings" behind these plants and the holidays they symbolize. Then, today, in the Faith and You section of the newspaper, an article grabbed my attention. It was titled, "Take the time to find fresh meaning in Easter."
The author states, "Easter is coming, and some of us have been "doing Easter" for decades. We've done the church thing, the family thing, the kids thing. Even if we have a close relationship with God and our family, we can feel a little stale." 
He then goes on to discuss a book called, "Dare to Prepare" by Ron Shapiro and Gregory Jordan.  The theme is business and how "some of us don't know how to win before we begin." The authors cite three reasons a person doesn't always prepare:
* I don't have time.
* I've done this before.
* I know how to do this.
How often are we guilty of those reasons? More importantly, how often am I guilty of those excuses...when it comes to things like, family home evening, spending quality time with my children...or teaching and reflecting on the importance of Easter? That is just to name a few.
I prepare for Christmas. I love Christmas. We celebrate with the tree, the lights, the stories, the music, the food, the gifts...for weeks prior to the actual holiday. We emphasize over and over "the true meaning of Christmas," and look for opportunities for secret service and traditions and ways to increase love in our home and our surroundings. 
But, like the author of this article, I'm guilty when it comes to preparing for Easter. And so, I have to ask, as did he, "What does Easter really mean to me?"

The author continues, "As a Christian, I can find several messages, but at the heart of them is forgiveness. The power of the cross and Jesus rising from the dead have helped me forgive others -- and just as important, forgive myself. I occasionally beat myself up over things, and that causes me to be rough on others.  Want to prepare for Easter? Dare to ask what it means to you."

And so, I'll continue to ponder that, long after the easter baskets have been put into storage and the candy wrappers are all vacuumed from the floor. I'll try to forgive myself and others, while at the same time, in the words of Gordon B. Hinckley, try to, "stand a little taller, be a little better, a little stronger, a little more thoughtful, a little more humble, a little more prayerful..."

Hmmm...all that from pondering the irony of having an Easter Lilly and a Poinsetta in the house at the same time.


1 comment:

Cannon Clan said...

man i miss you! i hope you have a fabulous easter. thanks for the inspiration. love, hugs, kisses and many i miss yous.