Thursday, March 13, 2008

There is Humor All Around

"When you've gotta go, you've gotta go."

We've all heard this saying (or some variation of it) at least once in our lives, right? I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that we've all felt this at some point as well. Yesterday, the little girls and I experienced someone else's EXTREME need "to go" and what an experience it was.
I had a dr.'s appt. and my doctor's office is located at the hospital. For those of you familiar with Cleveland, you know that MetroHealth is not in the finest of locations. But, my doctor is excellent and so worth the drive. Without getting too sidetracked, suffice it to say that the environment is not an "upper West Side" atmosphere. Whatever that means...making a trip there is likely to be a very eye-opening experience no matter what time of day or night. Pretty much, anything goes.

Anyway...we were in the bathroom...Kenzie in her stroller, Brynnley in the stall. Suddenly, the door flew open and a rather distraught woman came charging in. She was moaning -- almost ranting, as I quickly moved the stroller -- clearing a path to the empty stall. Upon entering the stall, she immediately threw off her scarf and tossed her coat and purse to the ground. All the while, the moaning got louder and louder. "Oh, Oh, Oh My! Oh My _________ (enter the name of Heavenly Beings), OH! OH! Holy _______ (you fill in the blank). Kenzie was enthralled by the scenario and it was as though her head was glued over her right shoulder as she watched the episode unfold. I was stuck somewhere between shock and horror, yet simultaneously wondering, "should I offer assistance of some sort?"

Had I not seen the woman and known otherwise, I would have seriously wondered if she was giving birth right then and there. The exclamations were that intense and that loud. (Just as a sidenote - I have given birth that way and truly could have related to her pain.) Finally, amidst the moaning, we heard the sound of great relief. We all felt relief, although the girls and I did not express our gratitude quite as eloquently or as vocally as did this woman.

"OH! OH MY! OH THANK YOU (enter Heavenly Beings again)! OH! OH! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Holy _______ (it was not a cow). OH YES - THANK YOU !"

Mind you, this was a small bathroom. Even though I had moved Kenzie's stroller once again (and yes, she was still craning her neck - trying to see), we had little options. The door to the stall was wide open, and even though we weren't looking directly inside, it was hard to totally avert our eyes from the mirror which reflected this woman in all her glory.

Desperate not to laugh, and yet wondering what kind of long-term effect this incident would have on my children, I pleaded with Brynnley to hurry up. By this point, the "child had been born" and the woman gathered her scarf and coat and purse from the floor, put them over her arm and promptly walked out -- moaning and thanking Heavenly Beings all the way out the door.

And no - she did not wash her hands.


10 comments:

H.Cook said...

FUNNIEST STORY EVER!!!!!! Hahahaha

sara said...

Ok, my stomach muscles just got the biggest workout. That was the funniest story!!

How do you like the west side? Jud got a job here and we will be staying here. Just curious how you like it.

Sue said...

Ick! Of course she didn't wash her hands. That just seemed to go along with the rest of it.
I can't imagine what your kids were thinking!

BTW, very cute pictures of your kids on the sidebar!!

The Lassen Family said...

Thanks for the great laugh! That was hilarious! :-)

Sherrie said...

Oh Tacie! That is so funny! I'm so surprised that your girls didn't say anything! Brooklynn totally would have been saying, "Mommy! What is the matter with that lady!" or "Mommy! She didn't shut the door, is she going....."

Oh how funny. I think you see everything here. :)

Jennifer said...

that is awesome! so funny! so glad you topped it off with the not washing the hands bit... really rounded out the story of the classy, grateful, and relieved lady.

Miriam said...

Oh my! It is so good to have a chuckle in the morning. Thanks for sharing that!

chrissy said...

SICK!!

i would have been greatly disturbed by that.

Prince's said...

Thanks for a trip back to Cleveland with out having to leave Utah! I hated the flights. I do feel bad for your kids but totally love the laugh. Thanks
Angie Prince

Dave and Loralee said...

AAAGGGGHHH!!! THAT'S SO HILARIOUS!!! I think we must have met the same woman. After a date we went to a Barnes & Noble, and I went to use the restroom. And while I was in there I heard the SAME stuff!! I was in some serious shock--rarely am I rendered speechless. So I could totally appreciate this story. Yours was probably better b/c the kids were there...I can only imagine THEIR thoughts on the matter!