Thursday, April 3, 2008

Boring...How I Like It.

I am nothing, if not consistent. Some might even call me boring. I prefer routine, but however you term it, it works for me. I make no apologies.

I'm the type that wakes up and does the same thing every day. I don't even need to leave the house in order to be happy. I can find plenty of intellectually stimulating situations within the walls of my own home.  (YOU define 'intellectually stimulating.')

I shop at the same grocery stores. (It's efficient to know where everything is...and when you have 4 children with you...efficiency is SMART.) I buy the same brands, make the same meals and eat at the same restaurants.

I even wear the same clothes. But before you get the totally wrong idea, know that I do go out on a limb and spice up my wardrobe with 3/4 sleeves, short sleeves, or (usually) long sleeves. I venture out when it comes to crew neck, v-neck, turtleneck, pima, cotton, 95% cotton/5%spandex, thermal....you get the idea. 

Of course, those variations almost always come in black or white. (Black is more "kid-friendly" and white...well, it can be bleached.)
                       

So then, isn't it interesting that I am married to a law enforcement professional?  I don't know too many law enforcement personnel who went in to their line of work thinking it would provide routine situations everyday. If anything, they wanted the exact opposite. 
                    
Take Greg, for example. As a police officer/SWAT team member, he tells me what goes on at work. But, if I want to know the real details of a raid or an arrest, I have to eavesdrop when he tells his dad about it (retired FBI).

The faster the foot pursuit, the happier he is. The harder the dog bit someone -- the cooler it makes the story. The bigger the gun, the better. Tased someone and they crashed to the ground? Sweet. Interviewed a murder suspect? A rape suspect? A drug dealer...all in a days work...and it's exciting.

It used to strike me as really odd that while the kids and I were at home reading bedtime stories, he'd be out running through backyards, jumping fences and chasing bad guys. Now, in  a twisted sort of way, that has become the routine. 

Granted, many would look at our family "routines" and think they are anything but. But, it works for us...or, it doesn't. Either way, isn't that some sort of consistency?

1 comment:

rachel said...

I love the way you write! You could never be boring. However, it is crazy to think while you are doing your daily routine the kinds of things Greg is doing at the same time - I've never had to worry about Josh that way.