Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Last Chance Workout

Photo
I really like The Biggest Loser.

I don't watch very often, but when I do, I am totally inspired by the contestants and how hard they work to overcome their inward and outward struggles...both physically and mentally.

Maybe it's because I can relate. Granted, my challenges aren't the same...but I would venture to bet that we all have plenty of weaknesses and shortcomings of which we are very much aware...and that we continually strive to overcome.

On that note, last night was The Biggest Loser Finale. Ali, the first female in Biggest Loser history to win, said something that totally inspired me. (She lost something like 112 pounds - nearly 50% of her body fat. She took the grand-prize of $250K). She said something to the effect of, "I treated each workout as if it was my last chance workout." (Before the weigh-in.)

I thought about that this morning as I was doing my own workout...and I'd like to think I picked it up a level.

But more than that, I thought about situations in my life, and what I would do with them if it was my last chance...and even if it wasn't.

* If the thank you note I sent to my grandma was the last one I knew I would write to her, would I have said anything more? Or less? Shouldn't I write her today -- just because?

* If I knew the church lesson I was preparing would be my last one...how much more time and effort would I put into it?

* If I treated each day with my kids, with my spouse, with my family and friends as though it would be my last...what would I say? What would I do? Would I worry less about shoes on the carpet and fingerprints on the wall? Would I insist upon a bib? Would I fold laundry or play baseball in the backyard? Would I mop the floor or read stories? Would I take a nap or build a snow fort?

Of course, I always read comments like these...and often, they make me feel guilty. In all honesty, shoes on the carpet, fingerprints on the wall and stains on clothing bug me. If today wasn't my last chance, and I continually ignored the laundry and the floors and the fingerprints...my last days wouldn't really be so happy...because the chaos around me would take over. 

The reality is that, for the most part, I am doing my best. Granted, some days my best is much better than other days. Likewise, the same can be said about my worst days. But for the most part, I am doing the best I can...each and every day.

I think we all are.

But, still...the thought inspired me. "I treated each workout as though it was my last chance."

The interpretation for me was that attitude really does make a difference. And for me, when the sun is shining, and the kids aren't fighting, and the bills are paid (or at least there is enough to pay them), it's easier to have the right attitude. But, that doesn't mean that even when those stars aren't aligned, I shouldn't give it my all -- every day and in every situation. It doesn't even matter if some days, my all isn't all that much. 

Coincidently (or not), while I was thinking of the ways Ali's comments inspired me, I was listening to Matchbox 20 sing, "Let's see how far we've come" on my ipod.

And on that note, when the kids get home from school, we're going for a bike ride.

4 comments:

Ashlee and Shane said...

I like this post and totally agree with you. I suddenly thought about something that has been frustrating me while reading your post and when i read the part about "what would i do if it were my last day"... the frustration went away and i looked at it totally different. Thanks for your post...its a great reminder.

Haley said...

LOVE the Biggest Loser and I was so inspired and happy for Ali! I just wish I could actually have time to work out... maybe something needs to move over to make time, huh?

rachel said...

That really does make you think about prioratizing and what really
matters most. I think I will try a little harder to be a little better - thank you!

Amy Franklin said...

Tacie-your posts are so insightful. And I am just so glad that you watch the Biggest Loser (I cried when Ali won). I love how you draw parallels between the ordinary and the spiritual. It makes me feel like maybe I should keep watching TV cuz I might REALLY learn something important! :)