Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Strange Thing To Covet


I know. We aren't supposed to covet. Anything. "Thou shalt not covet" is one of the 10 Commandments. 
We are taught, "Thou shalt not covet the neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his man-servant, nor his maid-servant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbor's."
Apparently (once again) I have some repenting to do...because although not specifically spelled out, it's assumed that "thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's grass." And that, is what I find myself doing these days...walking up and down the street admiring all the dark green blades of grass. Odd, I know.
We used to have a beautiful, lush green lawn - as noted in the above picture. And then, we made a decision which will likely haunt us for a very, very long time. 
We rented our house to professional criminals. 
Of course, had we known they were professional criminals, we never would have rented to them. But hindsight is 20/20...
I deem them professional criminals...because they have lawsuits pending in nearly every city around this fine state. I haven't ventured to researching other areas...but that wouldn't surprise me either.
But, I digress. I won't get started on how I feel about these people and the way they conduct themselves. I'll spare you the choice adjectives that come to my mind when thinking of them.
I'll simply continue focusing on the fact that, among the thousands and thousands of dollars in damages, rent/fees owed, they completely let our yard die. Interestingly, one of his many cons was to claim to be a professional landscaping company. As it turns out (according to court records), he claims to operate two different landscaping companies. I just wish he would have done something with our yard in the 7 months he occupied the property.
Alas, live and learn. And boy...have we learned this past  year. We're slowly trying to recover and restore our yard in the process. Perhaps someday, with enough water, fertilizer and good old fashioned hard work, we'll get that lush green lawn back again...and be better because of this experience.

8 comments:

D.Suth. said...

Is that your house?? I really like it. That is too bad abt those renters....
I remember someone saying they had to get a background check done before they could rent a place out here. It is sad it has to come to that.

Cannon Clan said...

tacie i think i would be happy with any kind of grass that ohio could produce! nm doesnt know grass

Cannon Clan said...

by the way love the blue look on your blog:)

The Piet Girls said...

I'm coveting your house.

rachel said...

how disappointing!! I was just going through some pictures yesterday and came across a picture of your house we took when we came to visit you. It was so beautiful and I was so happy you were living in it!
It's a good thing grass can be fixed fairly easy!!

Miriam said...

What a cute house! Sorry about those bad renters...What a pain. Knowing how good you guys are at keeping things nice, your lawn should look good in no time

Dave and Loralee said...

it takes 3 years to get it back. let me tell you, dave is gleeful that he stuck it to the man and we now have a lush, deep green lawn. okay, maybe 2 years. IT WILL RETURN!

thekerrclan said...

Our house looked soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pretty like that.
-addysen kerr


P.S.i wrote addysenkerr without looking.Talented me.