Monday, April 7, 2008

A Rock In My Shoe...A Rock In My Life

I had a rock in my shoe today. I found this somewhat odd as the rock was in my running shoes and they've never been worn outside.

I'd been wearing them for over an hour as I did my P90x video. It wasn't until I was running on the treadmill that I even noticed the irritation rubbing against my heel. Somehow, without any knowledge on my part, that rock snuck in and started messing with my life. 

Perhaps I am waxing philosophical due to General Conference this weekend. Or perhaps I just always look for analogies as a way to figure out my life.

Whatever the reason, I found myself pondering how this rock, this seemingly small irritation is like so many things in life. So often, I try to ignore the little things, thinking, hoping, they'll go away on their own or somehow, magically, take care of themselves. And yet, that rarely seems to happen.

Contrastingly, I sometimes forget that if I'd just take care of the little things...starting small...eventually I'll get bigger results. This can be both positive and negative.

For example:

*A chip in the windshield would cost about $20 to repair. If that chip is ignored, left alone to withstand the elements, it will spread, most likely resulting in a full-blown, $150+ windshield replacement.

*A single, cracked tile is annoying to replace. Yet, replacing an entire floor, significantly more complicated.

*Making an appointment to check out a cavity...a pain. Letting the problem go and ending up scheduling a root canal...literally a pain.

*Any home-repair project is not fun to deal with. However, procrastinating these projects until you need a Cleveland Heights Point of Sale inspection...well, let's just say that a 20 page report is not unheard of around here.

*Folding the laundry daily, rather than saving it for the 18 load marathon session. (Of course, this can be altered depending on which tv show you'd like to watch guilt-free.)

*Washing/rinsing the dishes prior to the Bran Flakes (or Rice Krispies or mushy Lucky Charms) drying and encrusting themselves to the bowl/highchair tray/floor would make life so much easier.

Ahhh...the examples from my own life could continue on long and lengthy...so let's move to the more proactive portion of this rambling.

Regarding Health:
Committing to drink 8-12 glasses of water each day sure beats setting myself up for failure by saying I'll:
* Lose 25 pounds
* Run 25 miles per week
* Lift weights 3x per week
* Exercise 6 days for 1 hour each
* Eliminate all sugar, treats, chips and "fun foods"

I know, I've tried it both ways.

With Children:

*Teach them, train them, nurture them...while they are young. 
*Set boundaries and stick with them. 
*Discipline. 
*Love them. Laugh with them. Play with them. 

Do all these things while they still want me around. That's the key. As hard as it is to imagine, my kids aren't always going to want me around. 

I better do the little things now...because someday, all too soon, these "little things" (my kids) will be "big things." And unlike the rock in my shoe, once they are grown, I'm not going to be able to stop and "fix" things. 

In A Marriage:

Same principles apply, it's the little things. 

*If there is a communication issue, resolve it. If it's still being brought up months or years later, it's not resolved.

*Serve. It's that whole theory of, "A-peanut-butter-and-jelly-sandwich-tastes-better-if-someone-else-makes-it." Enough said.

*Laugh...together. (Although, laughing at each other sometimes works too.) Greg sings a mighty version of the Eagles, "Love (insert WAFFLES) will keep us alive."

Yeah, the list could go on, but in the midst of writing this, my two little girls have disappeared. If I really want to love them today, I better find them before they write on another wall, or spill the sugar container all over the floor. Again. (We try to limit that to a once-a-day occurence.)

Interestingly, just as a FYI note: 
I "posted" this entire blog in my head before stopping to take care of the rock in my shoe.  

Clearly, I have a long way to go.

7 comments:

Cannon Clan said...

i love reading what you write! it makes me miss talking across the way, even when it was cold and we could hardly stand it. it was worth the fun conversation! keep typing!

Jennifer said...

I always love your posts... great stuff!

rachel said...

I can learn SOOO much from you! Whenever I have had a rock in my shoe I can't think past "stop" I've got to get this rock out of my shoe. You're awesome

Miriam said...

Tacie, I found this article about drinking 8 to 10 glasses every day...it's pretty interesting.. snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
From my point of view-you are doing a great job!

sara said...

Well said. So true. I've been working on doing a little everyday and it is beginning to make a big difference in my life.

the Petterson Family said...

I just so happens that at this very moment I have 4 loads of laundry to fold, dishes overflowing in the sink, a bed to make (at 5 PM), a Workout Video just waiting to be turned on, etc, etc...thank you for this post, this will be the last comment of the day, then I will turn the computer off.

Eliza said...

lose 25 lbs???? WHAT?!? I think you look great crazy!