Friday, April 25, 2008

Last Year...About This Time


I had one goal in mind when I went to the gym this morning: Run 5-6 miles in 50-60 minutes.
I only had a limited amount of time to workout, and I knew I had to run at least 5 miles in order to be on track for my 20-25 mile minimum this week.
For some, my goal would have been easily achievable. But for me, it was a challenge. Attainable, yes, but a challenge all the same.
I am not a runner.
I am a mother, a wife, a friend, a daughter, a neighbor, a sister and a volunteer. I am many things, but, I am not a runner.
I am not fast and I certainly can’t run forever. In fact, running makes me really tired! The only thing I have going for me is that I try to exercise consistently. My routine is this: I run consistently, and then I consistently eat too much junk!
An athlete in high school, I enjoyed the physical competition of the game and I was driven to succeed. But high school was a long time ago and I don’t think of myself as overly competitive with others now. I just have high expectations for myself...expectations which span all of the many roles I attempt to fill.

I looked around and saw that the #12 treadmill was available. (Incidentally, this has become my treadmill of choice because 12 is Greg’s favorite number. It reminds me of him and inspires me to work harder.)
The guy next to me looked to be running at a decent clip, so I hopped on. I figured that I could easily match, if not exceed, his pace.
Granted, I knew nothing about this guy. He was a complete stranger to me. With a towel over his instrument panel, I had no idea whether he’d been running for 30 seconds or 30 minutes. I didn’t know his incline or his speed. The only thing I figured out (rather quickly) was that if I tried to maintain his pace for my 50-60 minutes at my incline – I would likely pass out!
You know that “mind over matter,” thing? It doesn’t work. I tried to will my shoelaces to come untied, but a single knot has never held so well!

All my life I’ve been taught to “Stand a little taller,” “Be a little better,” “Set Goals,” “Work hard and never give up,” “Discipline yourself,” “Don’t settle.”
But at the same time, I’ve also been taught, “To everything there is a season,” (Ecclesiastes 3:1) and I’ve read many times that, “it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order.”
How to reconcile these teachings? How to strike a balance between working hard and not pushing so much that we get totally overwhelmed?

At 18:27 into my workout, the guy on the #11 treadmill slowed down. I determined to maintain my pace ‘till he quit. After all, people don’t cool down forever.
Thankfully, he stopped and got off.
Whew! I could ease up a bit.
Or so I thought.
Just as I was about to lower my incline and speed, out of the corner of my eye, I perceived a guy watching me. He was two treadmills down, and the unspoken protocol of the gym is that you don’t interrupt someone’s workout, nor do you stare at them.
So, although I didn’t look, I concluded that it was Doug, a friend from church.
Oh great,” I thought – so much for easing up!
A military guy, I was certain that Doug had to maintain a certain level of fitness. I was also quite certain that he’d never given birth to four children; but that was simply an excuse. I had to keep going.
As if that wasn’t enough, “Tattoo Man” got on the first row of treadmills, right in front of me. A “gym rat,” I’ve watched him work out many times. Although he doesn’t run endlessly, he puts the machine on the highest incline and does a full out sprint for several minutes. Despite the tattoos, and the short duration, it’s an impressive workout nonetheless.
And then, my MP3 player started blasting:

Been running so long, I’ve nearly lost all track of time.
In every direction, I couldn’t see the warning signs.
I must be losing it, ‘cause my mind plays tricks on me.
It looks so easy, but you know, looks sometimes deceive.

Been running so fast, right from the starting line.
No more connections, I don’t need any more advice…

Head over heels, why should I go?
Can’t stop myself, out of control.
Head over heels, no time to think.
It’s like the whole world's out of sync.

Been running so hard, what I need is to unwind.
The voice of reason, is one I left so far behind.

Finally, a distraction, one whose message did not go unnoticed:
Stop comparing myself to and competing with everyone else.

I ventured a quick glance over my shoulder. My “friend” was winding down. And yes, as you probably guessed: It wasn’t Doug at all…just another total stranger working out on a Tuesday morning.
Tattoo Man had finished his sprint as well.

I decreased my incline. After all, my dead body sprawled on the gym floor wasn’t going to inspire anyone’s workout.

I quit thinking of everyone else and settled in to “me.”

Not-so-amazingly, I achieved my goal: 6 miles, 57:17.
In fact, I exceeded it.
Too bad I'll likely have a headache today as a result.

9 comments:

rachel said...

How funny!! I laughed so hard because I have done the same exact thing when I've worked out...not slowing down because I don't want to let someone else outdo me. I didn't realize how bad I was until one day when I was talking to my running partner and it came up that I made the statement I wasn't competative, she just looked at me and laughed and said sarcastically, "oh no, you're not competative at all"!
However, I think you are a great runner, you kicked my tail last summer!!

Amy Franklin said...

How come every post could be a talk in church or a RS lesson?!? I love it! I am not a runner either, but Melissa has gotten me up to 5 miles. Every so often she tries to get me to train for a marathon, but I am just not interested. No desire at all. But I am proud of my 5 ile ability--not many can say they can do that, let alone in under an hour! Way to go!

Ashlee and Shane said...

I think that is great! I ran a 10K in Idaho and that is about what my time was! I only ran that long one time and might not do it again. I like to run 3 miles. I was running once on the treadmill and this guy gets on the treadmill next to me and i thought "he is gonna try to pass me up"...he didn't and he didn't last long. Now, he probably had no intention of passing me up, but it gave me a bit of a push to go harder! :) haha. I will keep making up my own scenario in my head like that if it helps me to push harder! :)

Cathryn said...

You're great Tacie. I loved the post. Now, I know you are not looking for any "pats on the back" but you deserve one. Great job exceeding your goal for the day.

Haylee said...

Thanks for posting a comment on our training for fitness blog... not at all out of line by the way. It'll be nice to keep in touch through the blogs. Mine is justandhayjohnsonclan.blogspot.com.You can get my brother's blogs through mine.
Your running story is hilarious!! Don't we always think we've got to beat everyone off so they don't think we are a whimp!! Too funny! (By the way I am super impressed at your time though!!)

Miriam said...

I have to agree with the comment above made by Rachel. This post was so funny... I think a lot of us don't want to be outdone by someone else, friend or foe.
I have to hand it to you, for me-running on a treadmill is harder than running around a track and you did great!

Cannon Clan said...

i got on my runnung machine today for the first time since max was born. yeah!!!

Michelle Baird Designs said...

I know this post is two weeks old, but I was just catching up on my blog reading and had to comment. First off, way to go on the 6 miles! Awesome girl. Second, you are a great writer. Your story was so funny. I had to laugh, because I can relate. I'm always looking around me at the gym thinking, " If that old lady can lift those weights, I can lift more." Or, "If that larger girl can run that fast, I can run faster." Sad but true.
I like to think of it as challenging myself, not outdoing my neighbor. Just me trying to justify my thoughts. Great post.

Sarah said...

Each time I have blog-stalked you, I have been inspired! I love to read your posts! I am in awe at your 6 miles, too! Way to go!