Saturday, April 19, 2008

Can Spiders Hear?

I have a huge fear of spiders. Some might even call it a phobia. Irrational? Maybe..but very real nonetheless.

I've always feared the arachnid, whether it be large or small, hairy or not, harmless or poisonous, jumping or otherwise. In fact, Arachniphobia was probably the scariest movie I have ever seen. Seriously, who watches that at a drive-in, in an open truck bed, in the desert of Las Vegas?

Spiders terrify me. In my defense, however, I have had some run-ins with some pretty scary looking creatures. And, I have inhabited homes with a variety of "tenants." (Bees, both honeybee and bumblebee, rats, mice, and alas, the spider). What can I say? We're motivated by cheap rent.

It's hard to say exactly when I fell in love with Greg. Was it the free Godfather's Pizza's he would deliver to my roommates and me in college? Or was it the day he came running to our rescue when we discovered a VERY large "8-legged-guest" looming in the back bedroom? Talk about a Knight In A Polo Shirt. Sure, happily married all these years later, he'll still kill the occasional creature for me if he has too...but arguably, he seems to have lost that spring in his step. Oh...the days of courting....

When we were first married, we lived in a tiny, run down little house. (I would call it decrepit if I was sure of the spelling.) I suppose the expectations can't be too high when rent is only $240 per month, right? Still, to share my bedroom with creatures? That's asking a lot. And so, we asked Greg's brother to share his "bedroom" instead. 

Let me explain:

Aaron spent a summer with us when he was about 14. Our little house only had one bedroom, which just barely fit our queen-sized bed. The bathroom was crooked and if you weren't fully awake during the night, it was entirely possible to fall off the leaning toilet during those 3am visits. This has nothing to do with the story, but I'm trying to help you visualize that we weren't living in the Marriott.

Aaron's "bedroom" was actually our daybed which acted as the couch in our front room. The house was old and had many marks on the walls. But, I was SO good at spotting which spots were out of place...meaning...I could walk through a room and out of the corner of my eye, spot a spider on the wall. Size did not matter. RAID was always by my side. I had access to a can in each of the 4 total rooms that made up the house.

One unfortunate night, I spotted a rather large spider on the curtains just above Aaron's bed. I think someone tried to kill it...but it fell and we didn't know whether or not the assassination attempt had been successful. So...I did what any rational person with an insane fear of spiders would do....

I fumigated his bed....and everything within a 30 foot radius. (That pretty much covered the entire property.) I stopped short of spraying RAID on the food and in the fridge but that was about it. After all, there is NOTHING worse that not-knowing if it's dead or alive. Seriously...how do you sleep if you haven't seen the guts confirming the death? Let me tell you....YOU DON'T. 

After all that RAID, we probably should have checked into the Marriott that night.

We no longer live in a crappy old house. In fact, we are very fortunate to live in a beautiful new home, complete with a mostly-finished basement. So, imagine my dismay, when I headed downstairs to vacuum the other day, only to round the corner and see a BIG, BLACK, SPIDER sitting right smack in the middle of the floor. This is the same floor where my children lay their blankets. The same floor where they build with blocks. The same floor where I lay when I do Ab-Ripper X. EWWWW.....

Of course, Greg was out of town. He's always unavailable (aka working) when disaster strikes. (September 11th, the Black Out, The Dog Collar Stuck on Addysen's Neck, Cannon's Head Stuck In the Bunkbeds). I knew I had to do something...but I was terrified. The only thought that motivated me to act was that if I left the room and the spider disappeared, I'd never be able to fully enjoy my basement again.

And so, I became increasingly grateful for my Dyson Animal...and the 15 foot extension hose attached to it. I ever-so-carefully plugged it in, opened the extension and slid it close to the spider -- still managing to keep my distance. Then, in one fell-swoop, I hit the power button and attacked. Whoosh! It disappeared.

Just for safe measure however, I kept the vacuum running for the next 5 minutes while I cleaned up the toys. It was only then that I realized I had been sneaking around. I had been holding my breath pondering the thought, "Can this thing hear me as I get into position?" 

What was I really thinking? Did I think it had the strength to miraculously climb back out of the vacuum? Was it going to hear me and run off? Was it going to turn and attack if I didn't make the first move?

One can only wonder. 

And, when the trauma of the moment is over, I'll admit, these thoughts seem a bit ridiculous. But, in the midst of the experience...who can blame the human mind for its crazy thoughts?

You can be sure, however, that upon Greg's arrival home, I insisted that we (translate to HE) do something about the problem. And so, he bought three large containers of bug killer at Home Depot yesterday. I think it's more powerful than RAID. 

For obvious reasons, there will be no picture attached to this rambling.

9 comments:

The Piet Girls said...

I still check my sheets every night before I get in bed. It's an OCD I've had for years because of the same fear. I feel your pain!!!

Miriam said...

I've always disliked creeepy crawlies, but never so much as I do now. We just moved into this new house (which is only 3 yrs old and shouldn't have any creepy crawlies yet?)and I was bitten on the hand in the middle of the night by a spider. The bite marks just got bigger and bigger until I had to go see a Dr. about it. He said the spider must have bitten me several times. It took over a month for my skin to heal.
Oh, did I mention that I also really dislike spiders.

Mitzi said...

The good old Cedar house.... I remember helping you move into it (in a snowstorm, I believe)...and that slanted bathroom was classic - truly something to behold!

I also remember keeping the can of Raid within arm's reach whenever I would come to your house to use your computer for typing out papers.... and keeping my feet folded up under my legs for fear of the mouse.

Ahhh, memories....

Aaron and Jessie said...

Tacie just so you know I still suffer the effects of sleeping on a RAID drenched pillow to this day. But the time I got to spend with Greg and you that summer makes it all worth while.

I also thought you might like to know that this past week during one of our Spanish lessons we were taught the word for tarantula. And our instructor informed us that while we are in the desert laying-up waiting for a group of aliens to arrive we will have tarantulas crawl on us. And when that happens we need to be silent. Because if we move or make a loud noise we will give away our location and the illegals will run.

If you are interested they are still hiring with the Border Patrol.

Aaron and Jessie said...

ok, so Aaron just informed me about this blog, I always just looked at the Kerr Clan one and haven't seen a post for a while, now I know why. I'm glad I'll be more up to date with your lives.

Oliver and Keisha said...

Oh, that is so funny. Oliver fulfilled all of my requirements on my list of "What I want in a Husband" except for "he will kill my spiders." He does ok, but doesn't like to do it either. And thus, the reason why the bug man comes to our house every month, to get rid of the nasty creatures that neither one of us want to deal with! I am convinced that Satan created spiders!

rachel said...

I laughed through your entire story. I didn't know how bad your fear of spiders is.
I don't know that I would call your first house in Cedar crappy. You did such a good job of making it cute, although, the floor in the bathroom was too funny. I also remember sleeping on that futon couch. What good memories!

Kris said...

I think you got this phobia from my genes, so I apologize. Just wait until you have a wolf spider in your house........Kris

Sherrie said...

I am so with you about the spider thing. You know, have Greg call Andy...he is a spider-killing pro. Seriously. And a few preying mantises (sp) in your basement window wells and along your foundation will work wonders too. :) AND!!! My Jr. year of high school, I had a date with a group friends and we watched Arachniphobia (sp) in a cave. They ran an extension cord from a generator down to a tv and vcr, and the guys had a bag of those black plastic spiders and put a few in the popcorn. AHHH!!!!! I have never seen that movie since, and never will. That just creeped me out.